Saturday 26 November 2016

Let's Make Art

"Art has the power to transform, to illuminate, to educate, to inspire, and to motivate." 
~ Unknown

I asked a friend if he would play piano for me, at our neighbourhood bar. He said he would -- if I sang as he played. "Fun!" I thought, before being seized by fear. He also suggested that I perform some spoken word poetry on open mic night. "Fun!" I thought, before being seized yet again by fear.

There's a theme occurring here. Fear. But fear of what? Fear of self-expression? No, that's not quite it...

Ah, yes. Fear of being seen. Being seen involves vulnerability and exposure. It opens up the potential for criticism. A wise man once said, "If you want to avoid criticism: say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." (Author of this quote up for debate).

"Nothing" is not an option for me. Nor should it be an option for any of us. Like so many introverted artists before me, I must swallow the lump in my throat, and walk hand in hand with risk as I show my art to the world, whether that be singing, poetry, or publishing my book.

In the case of my book, I'm taking it a step further; beyond a revealing, beyond exposure. I am asking for help. The truth of the matter is, without help there will be no art to show. It will remain on my hard drive, collecting proverbial dust.

In effect, I am not only saying "See me." I am also saying, "Trust me."

Trust me that this art is worth it. Trust me to deliver. Trust me to spread a message of love, courage, and companionship through a children's tale.

Finally, trust that this is not just about me being seen. This is not just about publishing a book.

This is about us creating art.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Gretchen, for posting this quote on ...,,why Art?,at least in my own mind and its musings. Your Art quote has been rehearsed over and over again in my thought process and has actually helped answer, why Art? Why do I have an insatiable desire to want to saw and pierce a sheet of metal and transfo it into an at article of adornment for the body, be it a pendant hanging from a chain, a bracelet that tells a story or simply adds interest to the wearer, or a unique ring depicting a happy emotion or just the love of the metal worn, or a pair of earrings to beautify and adorn the ears. Hhmmm.... the creative process itself truly gives one an opportunity to express illumination of thoughts, inspiration on a variety of levels whatever the medium used, as well as a transformstion through education. Taking the time to reflect upon life and imagination as it ensues, and then allowing oneself to express those thoughts and emotions either through the written word, a painting or an object crafted from metal, wood or other materials, is a way we can each achieve personal growth and a sense of satisfaction, peace and joy through those creations. Art is therapeutic and is a salve for the soul that benefits not only the creator, but the recipient.
    Very proud of you Gretchen, that your desire to live life to the fullest overrides any fears that could cripple those enjoyable moments! Thank you for sharing. ❤️

    ReplyDelete